Under Arrest For "Failure To Tweet" E-mail
Written by Jose Torres   
If you want to get a sense of just how fast technology is changing the game in terms of law enforcement, imagine a scenario where someone gets arrested for not using Twitter. But when you're dealing with thousands of 13-year-old girls, a Canadian pop star and an appearance at a mall, things can get complicated.

According to a report in Newsday, Canadian teen sensation Justin Bieber was due to conduct an album signing at the Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City, New York. Thousands of teenage girls turned out to see their favorite pop star - so many, in fact, that the frightened Bieber didn't even show up.

There's nothing more dangerous than thousands of extremely excited teenage girls that just found out the teenybopper they came out to see is a no-show.

With that in mind, the Nassau County police became concerned that the crowd might break the glass in store windows because of the high-pitched shrieking.

Police then asked a senior vice president from Island Def Jam Records, James A. Roppo, to send out a tweet to the kids advising them to go home.

Roppo, however, is alleged to have not complied with the police request and found himself arrested, pending charges that might include criminal nuisance, endangering the welfare of a minor, and obstructing government administration.

Kevin Smith of the Nassau County Police told the AP the whole thing was pretty cut and dry from a public safety perspective.

"We asked for his help in getting the crowd to go away by sending out a Twitter message. By not cooperating with us, we feel he put lives in danger and the public at risk," Smith told reporters.

Strangely, a tweet was sent from Justin Bieber's Twitter account around the time of the arrest of Mr. Roppo. "They are not allowing me to come into the mall," Bieber tweeted. "If you don't leave, I and my fans will be arrested, as the police just told us."

There were no other arrests made besides Mr. Roppo.
Just remember, you heard it in American Police Beat first - the first arrest ever for "failure to tweet."

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis