Boss taps fund to pay rooks E-mail
Written by APB Staff   

nypd.jpgIn New York City, the money made by rookie cops just isn’t enough to attract qualified candidates.

In order to deal with a staffing crisis precipitated by a $25,100 beginning paycheck for people living in one of the world’s most expensive cities, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly will be using private money to entice new police officers to join the force.

Starting in 2008, new police officers with outstanding student loans will be eligible to have part or all of their loans paid back by the New York City Police Foundation, a private group, after they graduate from the academy.

The incentive program, Kelly said, “is designed to help the NYPD stay competitive in its recruitment efforts. We want to get people with college training, college degrees hopefully into the department.”

NYPD Recruits must have served in the military or earned at least 60 college credits to be eligible to join the department. The fund would spend up to $15,000 on each new officer with student loans over a period of five years.

The money would go directly to the lenders.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis
Comments (1)Add Comment
student loans will be eligible to have part or all of their loans paid back by the New York City Police Foundation, a private group, after they graduate from the academy
written by tangd, August 27, 2008
How about the officer who came in 2006, we got student loan too. I can even afford a new place to live, never mind about paying for the student loan. Even with the new raise I still could'nt afford a little better place to for my wife and a baby on the way.

Write comment
bold
italicize
underline
strike
url
smaller | bigger

Please note: comments must be approved by the moderator and may not appear immediately.

busy