Officers file FLSA suit E-mail
Written by APB Staff   
San Luis Obispo, California police officers are filing a lawsuit that is becoming more common and could have a massive impact on law enforcement officers nationwide.

Like many of their counterparts from other jurisdictions across the county, San Luis Obispo officers are seeking monetary compensation for time spent putting on and taking off safety equipment required by their departments.

In a lawsuit with huge implications, the case of Dale Strobridge v. the City of San Luis Obispo is currently pending in federal court in Los Angeles, with a trial date set for September 4.

The suit alleges that not paying officers overtime for the time they spend putting on and taking off safety equipment is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. In labor law, such cases are known as "donning and doffing" lawsuits and have become commonplace since a 2005 U.S. Supreme Court case decided that an employer must pay meatpackers for time spent donning and doffing safety gear.

As a result of that ruling, police officers have filed lawsuits from Hawaii to New York, with high-profile California cases pending against the cities of Oakland and Richmond.

According to the city, San Luis Obispo has spent $11,000 so far on outside legal fees in the case, and the City Council recently allocated another $50,000 to fight the case.

"We believe the plaintiffs' position is unsupported either by the law or the implementing regulations," City Attorney Jonathan Lowell told reporters.

"The city will vigorously defend against this lawsuit."
The suit in San Luis Obispo revolves around an officer that was employed by the San Luis Obispo PD until the end of 2003. The officer, Dale Strobridge remains the president of the San Luis Obispo Police Officers' Association.

He currently works as a sheriff's deputy. Strobridge and 32 additional sworn officers signed on as plaintiffs in the action.

Allison B. Wilkinson is the attorney representing Strobridge and the others. She says if the court decides in their favor, all police officers working for the city would benefit. She also pointed out that the lawsuit is about more than putting on a uniform.

"There is the full complement of safety gear they are required to wear. The bulletproof vest, the handgun, the handcuffs, pepper spray and the like," she told reporters.

Wilkinson went on to say that it takes 15 minutes at the start of the shift and 15 minutes at the end to don and doff the gear.

Peter Brown, the attorney hired by the city to handle its case says the stakes couldn’t be higher

"This is an issue which is not unique to San Luis Obispo. It is an issue which will have an inestimable effect," Brown said of the overtime costs involved.

Brown disputes the idea that it takes anywhere near a half hour for police to put on and take off their vests and belts that carry their handgun and other equipment.

He said he’s asked lots of cops about the time required to “don and doff,” and said he’s heard estimates of one to five minutes.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis
Comments (1)Add Comment
DUI Enforcement Officer
written by Kevin J Cline, May 16, 2008
Anyone that says it only takes them - him/her 1-5 minutes to get ready for work as a police officer is either
(1.) Full of crap
(2.) a Sloppy person
(3.) Suck at what they do

Of course anyone can say they hear things... doesn't really mean they are telling the truth... "If the shoe fits!"

Does it only take this "Peter Brown" 1-5 mintues to put on his $500.00 suit in the morning. If he says yes, then that must be his morning excercise too. I would say he's full of it (if he said yes, but that's me).

OK, get up and actually time yourself geting dressed. See how long it takes (normal clothes now, nothing special). Don't rush, it's not a race, but don't take your sweet time either. You're simply geting dressed, that's all. Jeans, shirt, socks, shoes. Get the idea!

Now, Put the socks on, pull the trousers up, put the shoes/boots on (lace or pull). pull the T-shirt over. Add a vest that has to be just right (don't even think about shooting that down, if it ain't right, we ain't right) I bet you don't see Mr. Brown wearing one (a vest). Anyway, get the vest on just right, velcro it. Put the shirt on over it. (Zip or button, which ever your department has). Tuck the shirt in. Match the gig line correctly (don't want to look sloppy, makes the city look sloppy, remeber we're professionals). Finally, the pistol belt. Front has to be matched with the gig line. The front buckle (pistol belt) has to be over the belt buckle (trousers) and above the fly. The fly and belt have to align with the front line of the shirt. Again, it's all about appearance. Mr. Brown does not step before a jury (or a judge for that matter) looking like a slob... I bet not! I am willing to bet that Mr. Brown is a well dressed person that takes pride in how he looks (I don't know him). We too (Police Officers) take pride in how we look, and how it may effect our city. If we look sloppy, then the citizens may feel they are getting a sloppy job. If we look professional, the citizens feel they are getting a professional job. Professional appearence takes time... Tell me I'm wrong! All this to say, it takes more than five stupid minutes to get ready for work.

msblueline

Write comment
bold
italicize
underline
strike
url
smaller | bigger

Please note: comments must be approved by the moderator and may not appear immediately.

busy