May 2008 letters E-mail

Thanks a lot

I wanted to write a note to express my appreciation to you for providing the Anderson Police Department with a complimentary copy of American Police Beat. Each month we look forward to receiving it. American Police Beat is an excellent journal which brings us the latest and best in law enforcement news and issues. Again thank you for your service.

– Martin D. Brown, Chief Anderson Police Dept. Anderson, South Carolina

After “the job”

(One of our subscribers sent this in. He isn’t sure who the author is, but we thought it deserved to be printed.)When a good cop leaves the “job” and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. Those of us who have retired wonder if they know what they are leaving behind. We know that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, they will long for those past times. We know in the law enforcement life there is a fellowship, which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet. We know even if they are thrown away, the job stays with us as long as we live. You will always look at people suspiciously and see what others do not see or choose to ignore. You will always have a respect for law enforcement for what they do. For those of you who are approaching retirement, never forget – “Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called children of God.” And always remember that you will always be an important part of the greatest fraternity in the world.

– J. Smith Chicago P.D.

Demeaned

I wanted my fellow officers to know that I wrote to Dick Wolf, the creator and executive producer of “Law and Order” regarding the February 13, 2008 episode which focused on the fictional shooting of a woman by an NYPD Auxiliary police officer during a demonstration. Throughout the show, auxiliary police are demeaned as “wannabees,” “fake,” and “not real” police officers and implies that they are generally scorned and ridiculed by regular members of the service with whom they work. Our auxiliary police do not carry guns. Nevertheless, viewers across the United States were left with the impression that these selfless New Yorkers are either fun-carrying social misfits, neighborhood busybodies, or misguided do-gooders. It is ironic that “Law and Order” focused on auxiliary officers just 11 months after two of our members, on foot on patrol in Greenwich Village, were gunned down by a deranged madman. And these brave officers were not the first auxiliary officers to be killed in the line of duty since the inception of the auxiliary police program in 1950.

– John W. Hyland, President Auxiliary Police Benevolent Association New York City

Where he belongs

I am asking for your assistance to keep a convicted cop killer behind bars where he belongs. Please take a few minutes of your time to fill out the electronic petition which you can find at http://www.petitiononline.com/Vacha08/petition.html or www.CPPA.org. In 1973, Cleveland Police Officers Fred Vacha and John Saccany were ambushed while in their marked car on routine patrol. Without warning, career criminal Floyd Graham opened fire, killing Officer Vacha instantly and severely wounding Officer Saccany. Graham was convicted by a jury of murder and attempted murder of the police officers, as well as the felonious assault of Officer Saccany. He received two consecutive life sentences plus 20 years, without the possibility of parole for 45 years. After serving only 35 years of this sentence – of which more than half was served at a work farm in Grafton Ohio – Graham is up for parole for at least his third time. Officer Vacha has left behind a loving family, including children almost too young to remember their Dad, as well as grandchildren he has never met. This loss is staggering, and the possibility that this career criminal could once again be out walking free among us is unacceptable. Please help us bring some peace of mind to Officer Vacha’s family by signing the online petition or writing a personal letter to the parole board on their behalf.

– Steve Loomis, President Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Sad anniversary

Seven years ago this month, our son, Alberto Vasquez, a police officer with the Houston Police Department, was killed in the line of duty. We wanted to take this occasion to say that his family and friends, but especially his Dad and Stepmom, love and miss him very much. – Mr. and Mrs. Juan Vasquez Laredo, Texas Stop the abuse I’m a retired NYPD detective and have become active with a group that is fighting against animal abuse throughout the country. You can see us at www.rescueink.org. Please help us spread the word to all officers out on the street to give us tips on animal abuse or call us when they have become aware of an animal who’s being abused.

– Angel Nieves This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Tel: 631-737-2834 www.rescueink.org

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis