April 2008 letters to American Police Beat E-mail

Stop that song!

I was listening to a popular oldies station the other day and heard the lyrics below from a Beatles song, “Run For Your Life.” They are not even innuendos, the man is threatening to kill a little girl if she leaves him.

I’m a retired Reno P.D. sergeant. One of my most memorable and tragic calls was a murder/suicide where a man killed his estranged wife and then himself. I was first on the scene and unsuccessfully gave her CPR.

The Beatles are great but maybe we all need to contact our local radio stations and ask them not to play a song that encourages domestic battery and death. –Sgt. Jeff Church (Ret.) This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Run for your life Well I’d rather see you dead, little girl Than to be with another man You better keep your head, little girl Or I won’t know where I am You better run for your life if you can, little girl Hide your head in the sand little girl Catch you with another man That’s the end little girl Well you know that I’m a wicked guy And I was born with a jealous mind And I can’t spend my whole life Trying just to make it toe the line I’d rather see you dead, little girl Than to be with another man You better keep your head, little girl Or I won’t know where I am

The problem

One of the greatest dangers our country faces comes not from a failure of Americans to produce quality goods, but from the greed factor that dominates today’s economy. Perhaps the best thing we could do for our country is close all MBA programs that lionize the greed epitomized by Donald Trump and his ilk.

And it’s not a question of asking the business community to “sacrifice” for the sake of America, nor is it necessary to castigate unions for seeking contracts that ensure their members a decent living. It’s a question of getting back to the values of offering a quality product at a fair price. For those who think we need less government, I say that once the corporate raiders, the greedy banks, the companies that send our jobs, our production capacity, our customer service facilities, and our very economic security offshore, until they mend their ways, we will need a government that protects all of us against these predators.

As an old cowboy whose brother still runs a traditional working cattle ranch, I have to look not at the British lion nor at the American Eagle as the epitome of a government’s obligation to its people. After all, the former is a predator and the latter is a scavenger. But to a good herd dog as the symbol of what the proper role of a government should be. A good cattle dog must be especially intelligent, exceptionally brave, and swift to discourage, contain, or dispatch predators, whether within or outside of the herd under its care. Increasingly, our society has been breeding dangerous economic predators.

When pharmaceutical companies rush questionable drugs into the marketplace, when petroleum companies inflate their prices under the guise of a “free” market, when banks practice what, in an earlier era of our society would have been called usury, the government must indeed not only play the role of a watch dog, but must either discourage, contain, or dispatch these predators.

The size of a legitimate government must be based on the magnitude of the threats against its people. As citizens we must look to our leaders, those who are responsible for training and working with the watch dogs of our society, to ensure the quality of our protectors. We must not be fooled by cries of danger when none exists, nor can we afford to be lulled into a sense of security based on the false assurances of those seeking office. As the economy falters – and it will for the foreseeable future – we must be able to recognize the predators among us and hold our leaders to the task of addressing them, not forming alliances with them.

A free and unfettered economy is only as good as its ability to recognize the long term impact of its actions and must be held responsible for failure to do so. Only then will we have reasonable stability. Only then will we be economically secure enough to financially support the institutions that protect us from external threats to our physical security. – Rich Roberts

Truly impressed

I’m truly impressed with American Police Beat for several reasons. First, when I call your office I always talk to someone who is pleasant, willing to help solve the problem. I called recently to have two articles sent to me and I got them via e-mail within an hour. I really enjoy every issue of this excellent publication. – Francis C. Springob, Chief Greenfield, WI Police Dept.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis