I ain't no hero E-mail
Written by APB Staff   

In Irving, California, there’s yet another cop who does not want to be called a hero even though he risked his life when he raced into a burning residence and dragged an elderly man to safety. When Irving P.D. Sgt. Paul Tong pulled up to the duplex on Pioneer Drive, he could barely see the structure through the thick, black smoke.

The officer said he knew this was a job better suited for a firefighter and that he probably should wait for them to arrive.

But then he heard a voice screaming for help and that was that.

“I couldn’t see him but I could hear him,” said Tong. “So I got down low under the smoke and he was there several feet inside the room. The bed was on fire and something next to the bed was on fire.”

When you can’t see the person you’re trying to save, you know it’s one hell of a fire.’

Tong, crawling as low to the floor as he could, grabbed on to the elderly, bedridden man out and onto the front porch.

The elderly man was taken to the hospital with severe burns on his arms.

Like 99 percent of cops that risk life and limb to save a stranger, Sgt. Tong says save the hero talk.

To him it was just another day.

“I’m just glad that everything ended up and everyone ended up okay and I got to go home to my family at the end of the day. That’s all that matters.”

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis