How's my teen driving? E-mail
Written by Scotty Vaughn, Jesse Casias   

Ever wonder how your teen is driving when you are not around, statistics show that the accident rates for drivers 16 to 19 years of age are higher than those of any other age group. Teen drivers tend to take more risks due to their overconfidence in their driving skills. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in 2007 motor vehicle crashes were the leading cause of death for drivers 13 to 19 years of age. They also noted that 16 year olds have higher crash rates than any other age driver.

As I am sure happens in many towns around the country, we receive many calls from motorists concerning reckless drivers on the road, and many of those are young inexperienced drivers. Many people tell us that they don’t want to get the young drivers into trouble with the police, but they would like to have a way to notify the parents to advise them of the situation.

After speaking with a good friend of mine about an idea I had, I discovered that he had already developed a system to help motorists notify parents about their young driver’s discourtesy  or courtesy on the roadway. We’ve been promoting the program, watchmyteendrive.com, from town to town.

Here’s how it works.

Parents can go to watchmyteendrive.com to join by following the simple steps to sign up. When people have completed the sign up process, they receive a highly reflective decal with our logo and a toll free number on it. This is to be applied to the rear bumper of the vehicle. When someone sees your child being discourteous or courteous on the roadway and they want to report it, they simply call the number, and follow the menu options. They give the tag number, time, location and nature of the discourtesy or courtesy. Within about 10 minutes, you will receive an SMS text message and an email with the particulars of the call.

This system is currently being implemented in some juvenile traffic court settings. The program can be useful for juvenile programs because the court can have the offender become a member as a way to deter further traffic violations, and have them   add a court email address to the system that will notify the designated court officer when a traffic offense is reported. The court can require the offender to return a printed receipt within a designated time to show that they have completed the process. 

When a court system decides to join, their jurisdiction will be added to a drop down list in which the member can easily choose the right court in which they were ordered to sign up. ( If any court system wishes to join our program, please  call 888-669-8522 extension 715 and leave a message with  contact information, or send an email with their contact information to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it so their info can be added)

We all want safe responsible drivers on the road, and we all want to teach others how to be safer, we feel that this program can help parents have a little more support and maybe even more piece of mind when they can’t be with their young driver.

Thank you.

Scotty Vaughn, Jesse Casias
Fayetteville Police Dept. Fayetteville, TN.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis