Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Droid is a great phone. If the hardware keyboard's not your thing, wait for the N1 or the Incredible.

If you have any Sprint 4G in your area you may want to check out their new Supersonic (EVO I think they call it now.) That phone is the biggest, badass phone. It has the 1ghz snapdragon processor, Android, front facing and rear facing camera (video conferencing?) and HDMI output (stream internet HD content to your TV) and can operate as a 4G wi-fi hotspot out of the box (no rooting required like mine.) This will be the phone Apple tries to beat with it's next iPhone. If I had Sprint4G around here I'd get this phone and lose the landline broadband at home.

Battery life on these things is pretty good considering you are walking around with a computer squeezed into a phone case. That said, if you are going to be at work, make sure you have the car charger. If you are using the phone, especially any navigation, or music, you will need the car charger.

I plug my phone into the car's laptop USB port. I use it to play music and podcasts all night. I Bluetooth the phone to a Bluetooth speaker, that FM tx's to my stock crap Ford stereo. If you have a take home and can modify the radio just get one with Bluetooth. I unplugged my phone today at 1030 and had some heavy data usage this afternoon, I now have 23% battery. Not bad but you'll at least want to leave it plugged in at night. No more can you go a couple days on a charge with your phone.

If you get it this weekend let us know and Mac and I can share our favorite apps. I know a few to start with.

Mac, if you are going to try the CyanogenMod get the Titanium backup first. You can restore all your apps after the upgrade, rather than reinstall all that crap.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hmmmm, apps.

I finally found a data reader I like a lot called mobiletag.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also, Five-0 - set up a gmail account. I'll send you a google voice invite.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do you have a few invites? I need at least one.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Where do you want it sent?

I have two, will hold onto one for Five-0.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My Favorite Apps:

AnyCut - Create direct call and text icons for the desktop for specific users.

Bedside - Pay app but great for setting up like an alarm clock.

Been using a Backup for Root but it has limitations. I've just begun using Titanium Backup. Again, only for root users.

DirecTV app for setting my DVR remotely.

Fandango - great app for finding local theater and movie info.

Facebook for Android.

FlightStats -pay app that tracks airports, flights, weather, and delays.

Google Sky Map -awesome "Gee Whiz" app that I actually find useful for setting up my telescope tracking.

Light Racer 3D and Robo Defense for games. Worth the small price.

Linda Manager is great file manager app.

MixZing is amazing for your MP3's. It automatically downloads album art and info.

Scan2PDF -pay app that converts what you aim the camera at into a PDF file. It can create multiple pages for a single document.

RingDroid will let you edit your MP3's into ringtones and alert notifications.

Shazam -will identify music you are listening to and give you album/artist info. It's awesome!

Droid Record turns your phone into a digital recorder and you can email yourself the files.

Twidroid for Twitter.

StopWatch for a countdown timer and stopwatch.

WeatherBug for weather and weather widget.

WhatZip shows you on a map what zip code you are in. (I use this for reports where I'm not sure what zip my call is in.)

WeFi Connect for scanning, and connecting to Wi-Fi networks.

Wi-Fi Lock keeps your Wi-Fi connection active when your phone sleeps. Drains the battery but you don't have to wait for it to reconnect when you wake up the phone.

And of course, Wireless Tether for Root Users. This is available for Droid users. Google it and download it off the web, move it to your SD card and use Linda File Manager to install it. Turns your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Xiphos, my wife has one for you since you gave her the one she uses.

I'll save my two for Five-0 and his wife.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thank you! Let me set up the gmail accounts.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thanks for the help guys. If everyting goes as planned I will henceforth be known as "That guy that bugs me about the phone crap".

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Holy shit. My wife called at&t about our contract and two different people gave us two different dates that it ended. She told them we were looking at Verizon and they stated that they are their biggest competator and that they match up well with them. However a comprable plans of minutes, texting, and data would only be $240 a month for both of us compared to what I researched with Verizon's $160 for both of us. It will be $90 a phone to leave the contract for a total of $180. God I hate retards. Anyone know if Verizon offers to put anything toward a contract buy out to gain new customers? I know that is a stretch but what the hell.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't think so, but make sure you advise them of your government ID for a 15% discount.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh I plan on going all Arab trader on both At&T and Verizon on Saturday. I'll give At&T a slight hope that they can keep me. All while trying to get the termination fee prorated. I either have two or five months left on the contract depending on who answers the question.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Verizon played that silly game with me when I walked into the store to upgrade.

Oh Mr. MacLean we can't upgrade you because you aren't eligible for "new every two" until September.

Oh, ok.... wife and I walk out.

I call Verizon, speak with a rep while scarfing some BBQ in the food court. "Mr. MacLean we will be happy to just reset that date for you right now on the phone. Please go back into the store and ask the rep to check your number again."

Walk back into store... "Mr. MacLean, did you decide to pay full price for the phone...pause....oh wow, how did you do that?"

They are empowered to work with you to keep you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The thing is I'm thinking Verizon is better on the customer service end. You are not the only one I have heard that from. Ultimately I will know more Saturday, but I may pay out of the AT&T contract anyway to get the deal on the two smartphones. Especially since the money for the service has such a big gap. I have already spoke with DeputyMammal (he used to be with Verizon) and he got the 15%. The key is going to be talking to the right person.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    App list:

Facebook

Advanced Task Killer

Astro File Utility

Bubble (it's a level, kinda neat)

Compass

Droid Light (flashlight application)

fring (messenger app)

Google Sky Map (star chart that reads the sky for you)

mobiletag (tag and upc reader)

Real Blackjack

Skype Mobile

Google Shopper

Texas Holdem

The Weather Channel

I add and delete stuff all the time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good starting list. I would love the star chart one. I had also heard that the app killer apps were not needed. I suppose you found otherwise? We also got an update showing a record the police app and a scales app for the droid. Just FYI.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You should have an app killer program. I'm using Advanced Task Killer Free. Shit you aren't using will start itself up and eat resources all the time. I use it constantly. I set it to ignore certain apps I always want running and then periodically I go in there and have it wipe out everything else too.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I had also heard that the app killer apps were not needed. I suppose you found otherwise?
    This is true - linux based systems put background applications to sleep in a way that does not use resources and the Android OS is no different.

HOWEVER, if the app is actually doing something to keep it awake that can put a drain on the phone.

I keep an app killer because a lot of the applications do not shut down well. The task killer is a convenient way to get out of them.

ETA: Reading Xiphos's post it looks like we use the same one. I like it.

I have not paid for any apps, I am only using freeware.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a problem with Amazon MP3 starting randomly in the background. I've never used the app. Other stuff does the same thing, like the Alarm. The task killer is a nice way to get rid of them. You can see with Advanced Task Killer how much available memory gets freed up when you kill the app.

The Droid has a lot more memory than my MT3G so it's probably more critical for me than you guys. But it's handy to have, and it's free...

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information