"Take my hand, I'll pull you up." E-mail

C.O.P.S.

Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.) was founded in 1984 and is dedicated to helping surviving families and affected co-workers of law enforcement officers rebuild their shattered lives through strong peer support... survivors helping survivors. Law enforcement survivors extending their hand to other survivors and saying "Take my hand, I'll pull you up" is the true healing power behind the organization.

Concerns of Police Survivors is the only national organization that provides healing, love, and life renewed to surviving families and affected co-workers of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. C.O.P.S. does that with their "reach out and touch someone" programs. C.O.P.S.' Hands-On Programs include a weeklong camp for children and teens and weekend retreats for adult children, fiancés/significant others, siblings, spouses, in-laws, parents, and affected co-workers. These nine Hands-On Programs are planned each year throughout the summer and fall.

Survivors recognize at the retreats that they are not alone in the debilitating grief that often plagues those close to a fallen officer. At the retreats, survivors attend grief seminars led by mental health professionals, participate in outdoor challenges, and find great support from their peers. Professional counseling is provided to help survivors communicate and work on resolving issues by sharing feelings freely with others who have also experienced a line-of-duty death. Through the Hands-On Programs, survivors make life-long friends they can stay in touch with throughout the year for support.

In 2010, 725 survivors attended C.O.P.S.' Hands-On Programs. The average cost was $570 per person. All programs provided to the survivors by C.O.P.S. are free of charge; the price they paid is already too high.

C.O.P.S. 2011 Hands-On Program Dates and Locations:

• Adult Children's Retreat: June 24-27, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO
  • Kids Camp: July 25-31, 2011, Salvation Army Lake Camp, East Troy, WI
  • Outward Bound: July 24-31, 2011, White-water rafting, Grand Junction, CO
  • Fiancés/Significant Others Retreat: August 26-29, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO
  • Siblings Retreat: September 9-12, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO
  • Spouses Retreat: September 23-26, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO
  • In-Laws Retreat: October 14-17, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO
  • Parents Retreat: October 28-31, 2011, C.A. Vines Arkansas 4-H Center, Little Rock, AR
  • Affected Co-Workers Retreat: November 4-7, 2011, YMCA Trout Lodge, Potosi, MO

To learn more about the organization and the programs offered to America's law enforcement survivors visit www.nationalcops.org.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis