FBI Veteran Tom Locke Inspires New Law Enforcement Leaders in the Classroom E-mail

UMUC Logo

University of Maryland University College faculty member Tom Locke brings first-hand experiences to his Introduction to Criminology and Police Administration courses. A 32-year veteran of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Tom was on the front lines of law enforcement as an investigator and administrator for cases involving terrorism, kidnapping, drug and other complex crisis management situations and investigations.

Prior to his retirement from the FBI in 2002, Tom was called upon to staff, direct and oversee the FBI's worldwide investigation of the September 11, 2001 tragedy. "My mandate was clear: ‘Pick who you want and take what you need-just get it done,'" says Tom. "Calling upon my most trusted associates, we put the investigation together, and within 36 hours, we were able to tell the White House that Al-Qaeda was responsible."

UMUC

Following his retirement, Tom created his global security consulting and investigative firm-Thomas B. Locke & Associates-servicing such prestigious clients as Northrop Grumman and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, as well as law firms in New York, Washington, D.C. and London. In January 2008, he was named managing director of the BGR Group, the premier government relations, strategic communications and investment banking firm in Washington, D.C., providing expert advice and advocacy to prestigious clients in dealings with the Justice Department, the FBI, the CIA, the Treasury Department and other U.S. and international law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

Having instructed many courses through his long career, Tom made a smooth transition from the FBI to consultant and UMUC professor. He says, "It is rewarding being able to impart real life experiences to the students eager to learn. It is a good way to ‘give back' or ‘pay it forward' for all the blessings I've had in my life."

Tom also accepted an invitation from Dr. Sondervan, professor and director of Criminal Justice, Investigative Forensics and Legal Studies, to serve on the UMUC Criminal Justice Advisory Board. Tom explains that the board's collected experts in the law enforcement field "oversee the development of courses and make suggestions to bring a high degree of credibility to the Criminal Justice Program and help to make it a world-class offering."

Tom most enjoys the classroom interaction with his students. "If I can somehow impart my love of the law enforcement profession and my love of this country and our way of life, that's what makes it worthwhile," says Tom. "If I can have an impact and influence even one of the students to dedicate himself/herself to this quest, my work is done."

To learn more about UMUC's criminal justice programs, visit www.umuc.edu/protect

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Digg! Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis